Paxillus involutus 

Paxillus involutus1550

Paxillus involutus (Batsch.) Fr. 1838

is a mycorrhizal mushroom associated with both conifers and hardwoods. It may also be saprotrophic when attached to wood. The brownish-ochre cap has a ‘slightly hairy’ inrolled margin. It may appear funnel-shaped when fully expanded. The yellow-brown gills are close to crowded and like all species within the Boletales are easily removable. While many people, especially in Europe, eat this mushroom, it is now known to cause an immunologic reaction which can lead to organ failure and death. Typically this occurs in susceptible people quite suddenly - usually after going many years eating it without any symptoms. Therefore, I do not recommend any one eat this mushroom. (see ‘Paxillus involutus and Paxillus Syndrome’ by Andrus Voitk, Fungi Magazine, Vol. 5:2 Summer 2012, pp. 17-18.

Paxillus involutus6740

Paxillus involutus

Paxillus involutus3467-2